Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A Good Morning


It's just before seven AM, but we've both been drifting in and out for half an hour.

Thumper makes a noise, but I don't open my eyes.  That noise could mean anything, including falling back asleep. I finally crack them open and immediately nudge the Yeti.  He opens his eyes, looks at his feet, and chuckles.

At the foot of the bed, Thumper has turned completely perpendicular in his crib and is peering through the bars, looking for signs of life.  When he sees me looking back, he breaks into a wide grin.

There's no going back to sleep from this point.  I start to climb out of bed, and the smile grows bigger.  The Yeti instantly falls back asleep.  It's a superpower, really.

I change Thumper and carry him with me into the bathroom.  Sometimes he tries to roll over or sit up in the Rock'n'Play, but not usually in the morning, when he's much more cuddly and complacent.  He watches as I brush my teeth.  It's our routine.

I feed him on the couch and peek at the internet, slowly waking up myself.  The next half hour is spent mostly with Thumper playing with toys while sat in my lap, but he's growing sleepier, not more awake.  He's only been up for an hour, and the Yeti's not even up yet, but I'm not going to deny him rest.  I put him back in the crib with toys and turn on his crib aquarium.

A few minutes later the Yeti's alarm goes off.  I head into the kitchen to make oatmeal for breakfast and the Yeti heads for the shower.

It's instant oatmeal.  Thumper's asleep before it's done.

I eat and crawl back into bed.  For possibly the first time since I gave birth, I feel cozy in bed, not desperately trying to soak up every minute of rest.

We sleep until ten.  It's a good feeling.
When he falls asleep I disengage him from all this

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting baby detective agency, It was very useful for me & I followed & like you blog post. We at Megastag Detective Agency Leading detective agency in Delhi expertise in all types of personal detectives services in all major cities in India.

    ReplyDelete