Wednesday, July 16, 2014

One and Done?

Over the last few months I've had to go to the doctor for a few little things, and every time they ask the same questions: Do you want to go on birth control pills?  What are your plans for birth control?

It's a harder question than one would expect.  I've had a long and complicated relationship with The Pill.  I was a freshman in high school when my period started to become more of an Event: cramps that grew increasingly debilitating over the years. PMS symptoms that began a week before I actually started, and then a period that lasted a full week after that, so I was spending half my life dealing with my menstrual cycle.  Headaches, nausea, the whole kit and caboodle.

I just assumed that was the luck of the draw and I had to deal.  It grew worse until my senior year, when I bowed out of a trip to the mall with my mother and sister after the cramps started.  Sure, I'd had to leave school in the middle of the day from pain, but when I gave up the mall, that's apparently when my mother knew something was really wrong.

I was put on the pill, and it was like the heavens opened up and choirs of angels sang.  Suddenly everything was manageable.  A few years later I had to go back; most of my physical symptoms were much better, but I still had what I unaffectionately called The Crazy, PMS that quite literally left me irrational at times.  My mother's reassuring "I used to throw things, but I grew out of it by the time I was 30" was less than comforting at 19.  And I don't know that the Yeti would have stayed with me much longer.

They switched me to Yasmin, which was new at the time, and again, the choirs of angels.  I stayed on it for several years, but then started to get breakthrough bleeding.  I switched to Yaz, but wasn't on it for very long; it never felt quite right, maybe because it was so similar to Yasmin and I had "grown out of it."  I switched to another one, but it too was never "quite right."

Then my blood pressure suddenly went up and I had to go off the pill altogether.  The Yeti and I were concerned; I was afraid the debilitating cramps would come back, and he was afraid The Crazy would.  Happily, neither was the case.  I was around 27 by then; my mother's magic number 30 wasn't that far away.

I didn't get pregnant 'til I was almost 30.  In the meantime, we used condoms, which weren't a perfect solution but not terrible.  And on the whole, I felt better being off the hormones.  The fact that every time I turned on the TV or looked on Facebook I saw an ad about a class action lawsuit against Yasmin and Yaz helped too.

So when I was asked at my six-week postpartum appointment if I wanted to go back on hormonal birth control, I said I didn't.  I told my doctor we'd use condoms in the meantime and got a raised eyebrow.

The follow-up question is always what our long-term family plans are, and I simply don't know.  Are you supposed to know if you want more children, immediately after having your first?  Before I had Thumper, I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that I wanted a child.  I was open to the idea of more than one, but I figured I'd start with one and go from there.

On the whole, labor was relatively easy for me.  Even pregnancy was, in terms of how I felt most of the time.  But on the other hand, I was high-risk the entire time, taking two pills four times a day to manage my blood pressure by the end.  I had the magnesium, but I did luck out in that I didn't get pre-ecclampsia.  Thumper may or may not have been smaller due to my bp, but he was also a robust, healthy baby - during all those weeks of NSTs and labor he was never in distress, always thumping merrily along.

I kind of feel like every pregnancy is a roulette wheel, and I really lucked out with Thumper.  And then I wonder if I should quit while I'm ahead.   But on the other hand, if I do want another child, I don't want to wait too long, both for the risks and my own energy levels.

The Yeti would be content stopping now but doesn't want to deny me if I have a burning need for another.  And that's when I realize: currently, I don't have a burning need for another.  If I found out tomorrow my uterus was closed for business, I'd be fine.  So I guess until I feel strongly otherwise, I'll try not to worry about it.

It's hard not having a plan, though.  Especially when I'm asked and all I have is an honest "I don't know."
old pic I found comparing Wondfo and First Response, both 12 DPO



3 comments:

  1. I think about this all the time. My sons was born 5 weeks early and in the NICU for 3 weeks. I know if I ever get pregnant again I'll probably be on bed rest the entire time so I completely understand the "quit while I'm ahead" thing. Funny enough, I don't have the burning desire for another one yet either. We're finally getting some sleep (most days) and I think I'll enjoy it for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting baby detective agency, It was very useful for me & I followed & like you blog post. We at Megastag Detective Agency Leading detective agency in Delhi expertise in all types of personal detectives services in all major cities in India.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete