Thursday, August 21, 2014

I didn't cover movie stars

There's a scene that often pops into my head: it's from a movie from the 80s called Baby Boom, with Diane Keaton and a shockingly young James Spader (I am a big fan of Blacklist).  There's a scene in that movie where Diane's character takes her toddler to a baby enrichment class, and all the parents are holding up giant flashcards with everything from Andy Warhol's art to a picture of Whoopi Goldberg, in order to give their kids an edge.  It's meant to be ridiculous.

But there's another scene I often think of, this one from real life.  My oldest nephew was about three, and I had taken him into a public restroom to wash his hands.  He had no idea what an electric hand dryer was, because he was from a small town and I guess just didn't frequent many modern public bathrooms.  As a teenager, it blew my mind, all the "catching up" a brand-new mind has to do.

It still blows my mind, really.  There's just so much context.  I was sitting with Thumper and singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" and suddenly I started thinking: he doesn't know what a star is.  That song doesn't help much; "like a diamond"?  He's more likely to recognize a star than a diamond, right?  But then I realize: living in a city, I don't know that we can even see stars in the sky.  In contrast, he sees the diamonds in my wedding band every day.

Before I even knew what I was doing, I started babbling about stars: pointing out the stars on a toy he has.  Then I went to google images and did a search for stars.  I was showing pictures of the shape of a star, pictures of stars in the sky.  Then I realized he was seven months old, and very little of this was likely sinking in.  And I was Diane Keaton with a flashcard.
bottom teeth twinkling like diamonds in the sky

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting baby detective agency, It was very useful for me & I followed & like you blog post. We at Megastag Detective Agency Leading detective agency in Delhi expertise in all types of personal detectives services in all major cities in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete