Monday, May 12, 2014

Post-partum Fashion

Confession: I've never been good at being a housewife, even before I got pregnant.  Or rather, I've never made it look good.  I used to do some freelance work from home, and really I suppose I should've been able to have the house looking perfect every day.  It didn't.  I don't know that it ever did, actually.

Similarly, my own appearance: being at home meant I could theoretically stay in my pajamas all day.  So, unless I was going out somewhere, I did.  In fact, even when I'd go somewhere, I'd change right back into my comfy clothes the moment I got home.  I suppose I'm lucky that I have a husband that values comfort as much as I do - or that I met him when I was getting dressed regularly.  I shudder to think what I would have looked like had I been homeschooled.

When I was pregnant I probably looked more pulled-together, because I had to buy and wear maternity clothes out of necessity, and I actually felt pretty cute.  No longer was I buying clothes and then "saving" them for special occasions that never came; I had a small amount of clothes that fit me, so they were going to be worn.

Now I'm a mother, and theoretically just entering my "frumpy" stage, when in fact I've been here for some time and am actually trying to get out.  I'm starting small; it might be a cliche to wear yoga pants and sweatshirts, but I'm making an effort to buy clothes that feel like pajamas but look like they could actually be clothes in the right light.  At least fitted sweatshirts are somewhat "in" right now.

I'm wearing tank tops under almost everything, because they're easiest when it comes to nursing.  I think dresses would normally be a good option - throw one on and you look put-together - but they're a pain on the nursing front.  I do like long hippie-type skirts; I wore them through most of my first and second trimesters, and I suspect I'll be pulling them out this summer as well.

So that's roughly where I'm at on the clothing front.  If there's any interest I might pull together a few outfits as examples, but for me the novelty is looking like I'm not about to go to bed, not that I'm particularly fashionable.  Where I do need help is accessories - I never seem to know how to accessorize anything.  And, of course, I'm open to suggestions too.  Anyone have any tips and tricks to looking like you've made an effort without actually doing so?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting baby detective agency, It was very useful for me & I followed & like you blog post. We at Megastag Detective Agency Leading detective agency in Delhi expertise in all types of personal detectives services in all major cities in India.

    ReplyDelete