Sunday, May 4, 2014

(Trying to Avoid) Rookie Mistakes

When I became pregnant with my son - now four months old - the first thing I did was look for blogs that mirrored any aspect of my experience: a first-time, secular, stay-at-home mom with a high-risk pregnancy.  Living in a city - actually in the city, not a suburb - without a car and utilizing public transportation.  Bringing a baby home to a one-bedroom apartment instead of a nursery.  Wanting a crunchy, positive birth experience with all the comforts of modern medicine.  Finding blogs like that was tougher than I’d expected it would be.  

To make matters worse, even though I was wrapping up my twenties, my husband and I were the first of our close friends to have a baby, and don't live anywhere near our families.  Contrary to popular belief, getting pregnant does not suddenly make you an expert on things like strollers and diapers, cloth or otherwise, or even holding a newborn.  So my little family and I are going it alone, three against the world.  No baby showers or hand-me-downs, just way too many Amazon reviews and a little bit of trial and error.  


So as I investigate, I thought I’d share what’s been working for me, as well as a glimpse into my life: lots of laughter as I learn to be a mom to an adorable city mouse.  

Picture of baby

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting baby detective agency, It was very useful for me & I followed & like you blog post. We at Megastag Detective Agency Leading detective agency in Delhi expertise in all types of personal detectives services in all major cities in India.

    ReplyDelete