Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Sun, the Sweet and the Sour

Good gravy!  I'm not quite sure where the last two months have gone.   I think my absence has mostly been thanks to summer; we've been spending a lot more time at playgrounds and splash pads.  I know that I rave frequently about the fact that Thumper has just gotten more fun as he's gotten older... but I can't help it, it's true!  I'm laughing all day long.

Just today, I was gathering up the sheets for the wash while Thumper ran back and forth from the bathroom (where the washer is).  He'd already "helped" me put in the pillowcases and I was grabbing the fitted sheets.  I walked in with the sheets to find Thumper, dragging his stroller blanket across the floor to put in the wash, so proud.  He'd also added a random pajama top from the hamper.  If I could have passed out from cuteness I would have.



However, not everything is fun.  Here are a few things that have ranged from not-so-funny to making-me-pull-out-my-metaphorical-hair:

- The trash.  He tries to put random items in the garbage (the dark side of that washing machine story).  When I tell him not to, or try to stop him, he thinks it's a game.  I don't know if the solution is just to get locking cans; the cans we have are fairly recent so we don't particularly want new ones, but who knows what we've thrown away already.

- The night terrors.  Every so often - maybe a few times a month - we have a day or two of extremely bad sleeping and what I think are night terrors.  He wakes up, not crying, but screaming.  He seems awake, but totally irrational, pointing at random stuff, then pushing it away, wanting down, wanting up, freaking out the entire time.  There's no "trick" to ending it that I've found; it just eventually does, and he's totally back to normal (I, on the other hand, want to go rock back and forth in a corner).

It's so distressing because he's still mostly nonverbal, so he can't even tell me what's wrong, or if, say, it's not a dream at all and he's in pain.  And while we're on the issue of screaming...

- The temper tantrums.  They seem to come and go in waves, where we'll have several good days and then a few bad ones (which of course feel twice as long).  I've read the Happiest Toddler on the Block and, unlike Happiest Baby, I haven't been able to make it work for me.  Most of the book - more or less toddler psychology - is interesting and a good reminder, but the actual technique of halting a temper tantrum has been a fail for me so far.  And like the night terrors, we have the same issue of a mostly nonverbal toddler.  It's hard to know what he can understand, what the expectations should be, etc.  I feel like it's been months and months since I've felt the need to obsessively confer with Doctor Google and His Mommy Coffee Klatch, but I think I'll be spending a little time with them soon.

But honestly this sort of stuff is not the majority of the day.  And, likely because it's stimulating, I think taking him out to playgrounds, etc improves everyone's mood and patience, so the weather has good timing.
The sun makes everything better


17 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to have time again to catch up on your blog & your big guy! I can't believe how big he is!!

    Avery has been such an easy baby so far, but she's starting to get less easy with age and I'm thinking I need to actually take a look at my copy of Happiest Baby on the Block. So, you had success with it working for you? Whenever I remember I should make use of it, of course, is when she is having a bad crying spell and I am in no position to be able to reference a book for help...figures!

    It sounds like you're having quite the toddler adventure! As someone who sees toddlers at work all day and has the pleasure of frequently trying to entertain them and keep them happy for an hour at a time...I can tell you with certainty that when they become better able to communicate their needs and wants it makes such. a. HUGE. difference! Everybody's happier when they can talk things out, right? :)

    Keep enjoying that nice summer weather while you have it! Around these parts, we've been having a depressingly rainy summer. I'd love to be spending time at local parks with Avery, and taking her and the dogs on walks, but the dry days have been few and far between!

    Sorry for this novel of a comment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I've been wondering how you've been doing! Im general, Happiest Baby was useful. No one thing worked like magic every time, but it provided sort of a toolkit of things to try - so you didn't feel as helpless. Sometimes swaddling would help, etc - one time I remember I finally plugged in the hair dryer and that (loud!) white noise did the trick! It all seemed to help at least a little. But there definitely was a period of just ridiculous crying, typically in the evening... but it passed, I promise!

      Don't feel too bad about having such a rainy summer - there's still not much she can really get out of it, this year (although it's important for momma to get some sun and vitamin D and whatnot!).

      Delete
  2. OMG! I have to say, your blog needs to be one of the best written blogs that I have learn in a protracted time. What I wouldn't give as a way to put up posts which might be as interesting| as yours. I guess I will have to continue studying yours and pray that someday I will write on a subject with as lot of wisdom as you have! Bravo!! Thanks for sharing such a valuable information with us Detective Agency in India

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Blog. I really want to admire the quality of this post. I like the way of your presentation of ideas, views and valuable content. No doubt you are doing great work. I'll be waiting for your next post. Thanks .Keep it up!Detective Agency in India

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally I found something useful to me. I have been looking for information on this particular topic for a lot of time now. I can't believe it is this difficult to find something on the Internet like this. I must be looking for the wrong thing or I don't know how to use Google. Anyway, thanks a lot for making this post available to us. Detective Agency in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the nice blog Baby Detective Agency The Sun, the Sweet and the Sour. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for and I am glad to come here! Thanks for sharing such a valuable information with us Detective Agency in Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great blog Baby Detective Agency The Sun, the Sweet and the Sour. I am pretty much impressed with your good work. You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Detective Agency in Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really great . thanks for the share with us swing for baby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting baby detective agency, It was very useful for me & I like you blog post. We at Megastag Detective Agency Leading detective agency in Delhi expertise in all types of personal detectives services in all major cities in India.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent Blog Baby Detective Agency The Sun, the Sweet and the Sour. The blog is absolutely fantastic. Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need. Thanks for such a continuous great postings.Detective Agency in Mumbai

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am impressed. This is a fantastic blog Baby Detective Agency The Sun, the Sweet and the Sour. Hello I am so delighted I found your blog, I really found you by mistake, while I was looking on Yahoo for something else, anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a tremendous post. Please do keep up the great work.Detective Agency in Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great blog Baby Detective Agency The Sun, the Sweet and the Sour. I am pretty much impressed with your good work. You put really very helpful information. Keep it up.Detective agency in India

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy to see your blog Baby Detective Agency The Sun, the Sweet and the Sour as it is just what I’ve looking for. I am looking forward to another great blog from you.Detective Agency in India

    ReplyDelete
  14. The blog is absolutely fantastic Detective Agency in Mumbai. Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need. Thanks for such a continuous great postings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic Blog sir! the topic is actually a unique and interesting one. great piece of information. We are one of the best Detective Agency in Delhi offering all kinds of services.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Again a nice and informative blog form you. One can use this blog to gather lots of useful information. Thank you for posting such a nice blog. Detective Agency in Delhi

    ReplyDelete